GOLD STREET BRANCH

1a Gold Street
Barnsley
S70 1TT

01226 731298

Opening Hours

Mon08:00 - 18:30
Tue08:00 - 18:30
Wed08:00 - 18:30
Thu08:00 - 16:30
Fri08:00 - 18:30
Register with us
We are currently taking
on new patients - find
out more & download
a new patient
questionnaire
Appointments
Appointment can be
made by calling
the surgery during
opening hours
Out of Hours
Can't wait until morning?
If you need a doctor
out of hours call
01226 648150
Prescriptions
To find out how to
order your repeat
prescription
click here
Specialist Clinics
We have a wide range
of specialist clinics,
please click for
more details…

History of the Practice

The first training practice in Worsbrough was set up in 1743 by apothecary and surgeon Dr William Elmhirst (1721-1773) at Genn House, on Genn Lane. In addition to his fees for medicines, surgery, veterinary work and tooth-pulling, he earned extra income selling 'fat oxen' to a Barnsley butcher, and letting out property to one of his clients, a 'constipated tallow-chandler'. The terms of an apprenticeship stipulated that those studying under him 'readily and chearfully (sic) obey' and conduct themselves 'with all due diligence, honesty, sobriety and temperance'. Elmhirst met an untimely death when he was thrown from his horse at the nearby Hangman-Stone toll-bar.

Dr Herbert Arthur Luke Banham (1870-1954) trained at Sheffield School of Medicine and London, qualifying in 1896, and set up practice at Rockley Dene, Worsbrough Bridge. Dr Banham prepared and dispensed his own medicines (red mixtures for coughs, white for stomach upsets, clear for influenza). A groom was employed to transport him on home visits in a horse and trap. In 1930 he took on a new partner, Dr Jeannie Helen Ritchie from Scotland. The Scottish theme continued through the 1950s with a succession of Edinburgh graduates to the practice, which now relocated to The Hollins on Sheffield Road, and later to Knowle Road. Dr Gordon Lorimer Watt joined, succeeded by the Drs Murdoch (husband and wife). Dr David Durie and the Drs Stewart (again husband and wife) followed in the 1960s.

The practice moved again to a purpose-built Health Centre in the Elmhouse area, where it remained until 2004 when new premises were built off West Street, overlooking the Dove Valley; hence the new name Dove Valley Practice. Dr Jim Walker and Dr Linda Sykes took over the practice in the early nineties, joined by Dr Gareth Sutton in 2002, and more recently we have added more Barnsley VTS-trained colleagues, Dr Cath Liley, Dr Roopa Ganguly and Dr Clare Bannon. We hope to live up to the example set by our illustrious predecessors over three centuries!